Earlier today I was spending some time with a friend...a friend that I haven't seen for awhile & so she noticed my weightloss, but instead of saying something encouraging or simply nice like "You look great" or whatever, she chose to say, "Mandie, you carry your weight well."
...Now, I KNOW that she might have meant this as a compliment, but really? How much of a back-handed compliment can you give? You might as well just say that I'm pretty heavy but at least I can hide it. It was very frustrating. Then to make things worse, before she left she said, "You look alot better." Better than what? How hideous I looked before? Thanks alot...
Anyways, I think the reason that this hurt/bothered me so much is because I am starting to actually really like my body. I am proud of it and more confident than ever before...and her comment made me second-guess that for awhile. It made me wonder if I need to lose a little more weight or ALOT more weight. I hate that. That feeling of not being good enough or never being able to measure up.
I guess I'm just writing all of this out in order to say that as we all know, the old saying:
Sticks and Stones May Break my Bones, But words will never hurt me...
Is as false as the statement that the moon is made out of cheese.
But I can control my response. My reaction. I need to learn that people aren't always out to hurt me, but I also need to think about my own words before I speak so that nobody takes my meaning behind things wrong. Today's Lesson: Think Before You Speak.
she's just jealous. Seriously. Ignore the haters! She's just trying to cut you down. Even at your "heaviest," you did not look heavy. "you carry your weight well"...really? I'm telling you. She's a jealous hater. Even friends can be haters. Sometimes they don't even realize they're doing it.
ReplyDeleteI always take those kinds of remarks the same way. Why can't people just congratulate you for your awesome accomplishments!? Geez!
ReplyDelete